Today is National French Fry Day
McDonald’s sells the most, New York Fries sells the best!*IMO
- McDonald’s sells the most Fries! 7% of all potatoes grown end up being sold by McDonald’s. They sell more than 1/3 of all the French fries sold in restaurants.
- Almost all the fries sold at McDonald’s are peeled, sliced and partially cooked at factories in Idaho.
- Meanwhile, at New York Fries, all fries are hand cut (skins on) and cooked to order in non-hydrogenated Sunflower Oil. Served hot and crisp. Perfect fries every time.
- One of the earliest references to “French Fries” is in Charles Dicken’s ‘Tale of Two Cities’ (1859): “husky chips of potatoes, fried with some reluctant drops of oil.”
- The average American eats about 16 pounds of french fries every year.
- Both France and Belgium claim that they invented ‘French Fries’.
- Some people think that the ‘French’ in French fries refers to the method of cutting the potatoes (to ‘french’ means to slice into thin strips). *This view is NOT widely accepted as true.
- Though French Fries were first developed in Europe, those potatoes were imported from the US.
Comment below, who makes the best fries?